... or Meningioma 101 according to Becky
Since sharing our news about my recent medical diagnosis, the prayers, hugs, and encouragement have been rushing in. Thank you so so much and keep them coming! I know that God knows all about this. He has already shown me some very special blessings on this new ride that we are taking ...
Here are some questions that have been coming my way. I can't say that I am an authority on the topic by any means, but this might let you know a bit more about what we are facing ...
Question 1 - "You have a WHAT?"
A Meningioma. (Rhymes with "Ben's IN Tacoma" ... sort of) Usually these are slow growing (yea!), benign tumors (YEA!) that grow on the lining of the brain. Mine is medium-ish in size (3 cm.)
Question 2 - "What causes these?"
First you must be very unlucky. Secondly, I don't think anyone really knows. I've heard they are more prevalent in women, so maybe hormone driven? I've read they may grow at the site of a previous head injury or radiation exposure. Maybe I did sit too close to the TV when I was little! Truly, I just don't think they know for sure.
Question 3 - "What symptoms are you having?"
Headaches mainly. They started in April and I thought they were due to needing new glasses. So I got some - progressives even! But the headaches remained. So I thought they were due to the progressives - afterall, they are a little tricky to get used to. But the headaches remained. Then I thought it was sinuses and hayfever. But then it got to be October ... so off to the doctor I went. I am able to control the headaches with regular OTC meds, so that is good! I'm having a little facial numbing as well and boy am I tired by the end of the day. Unfortunatley I am nap challenged and don't know how to take naps. Any pointers on that? I should ask Jim. He is a nap master!
Question 4 - "When is surgery?"
I have scheduled it for November 19th. It shouldn't be too long of a procedure ... Dr. D said only 2 hours. (I'm pretty sure that's what he said - Jim and Bob were with me and that's what they heard, too.) I'll be in ICU for the first day and then in the hospital for 2 - 4 more days. Recovery will be 2 - 4 weeks.
Question 5 - "How is your palm tree?"
Ok, so this is totally unrelated, but isn't it a nice break? And, honestly I do get asked about it quite often! The palm tee above is a shot I took in Florida a few years ago. Can you see the moon hanging in the fronds? Mine is still upright but refused to produce any new fronds since it's season of maulings last year. Oh well, I have not given up on it yet.
Question 5 - "How are you feeling?"
Anxious, hopeful, frustrated, scared, hopeful, supported, and HOPEFUL! We are trusting that God will provide what we need in HIS perfect timing. During the times that I falter a bit I'll be relying on YOU to pray and bring that back in front of my eyes and heart.
Love to you all ... and thank you again for all your prayers and warm words already.
5 comments:
Mom here!
You can be sure that I am praying for you everyday. I love you and your family and know that the Lord will guide the doctor and you will recover quickly and completely. Love....
We are also praying for you every day, Becky! Like your mom, I feel very confident that the Lord will give you a fast and whole recovery. I love you and I'm praying that you continue to see new blessings in your life and hold onto the hope we have in the middle of this stress! xoxo, Kayla
Our Becky is invincible----I can't think of you any other way, so I KNOW you will get through the surgery fine and bounce back quickly. Praying for you daily, for your health and your hopes and fears. You are very much loved! Susie
Hey Becky,
Deanna told me she read your blog and about the news regarding your diagnosis and pending surgery. I wanted to let you know that we've already been praying for you as a family every night. I'm sorry you are having to go through this but rest assured that God will bring something good out of it.
It's amazing just how fragile life is and how fast it can change. We've had our share of ups and downs this year. I know we hardly ever get to see you guys but we're coming up for Christmas this year and would love to make a point to get together with you and the family. I will touch bases before we come up but please keep us informed on what's happening.
Take care,
Jeff
We are praying for you Becky! Great family support and love from everyone that knows you. Osters and Palmers are praying for you in our study bible tonight. Stay strong Becky, God is in your corner. We love you. ~Palmers
Post a Comment