Sunday, December 23, 2012

To Boldly Go ......




Hello.  My name is Becky and I am part Nerd.  Space Nerd that is.  It was inevitable that this would befall me as I grew up under the brainwashing tutelage of my two older brothers.  Star Trek was a frequently watched series at our house in the late 60's when I was really too young to care.  But the repetitious sound affects for the phasers, teleporting beams and communication devices are forever embedded in my memory.  In fact Bob used to try to impress me by mimicking the high pitched phaser sound.  He did this quite well!

Travel with me through space and time to 2012:  Did you know you can watch every episode of the original Star Trek series on Netflix?  Well, you can.  Bob and I are working through them and diligently dragging bringing Joe along.  Captain Kirk is full of all kinds of awesomeness just like I remember.  I'm pretty sure that much of my fondness for Captain Kirk is due to the resemblance I saw to my dad, especially in his later years (and apparently William Shatner likes to surf!  How can you not love THAT?  Have you seen his new Priceline commercial????)

It only seemed appropriate to honor Captain Kirk and the entire crew, by making an addition to the Christmas snow village this year. (and to up the cool factor of the village so Jenny can have another reason to be jealous of it.)   High above the trees and the moon of San Roberto flies the Star Trek Enterprise .... if you listen carefully, you might be able to hear the sound of the doors to the bridge or the occasional thud of crew members as they are flung about during space turbulence because seat belts were obviously a thing of the past future past ..... ?  Live long, and prosper and Merry Christmas!



No comments: