Tuesday, July 07, 2009

The Officiant



At a recent family wedding (of one of our favorite people in the world - cousin Kayla!) I had the priveledge of sitting next to my nephew, Ray. Ray is 10. Ray is confident, observant and very verbal.

Anyway, Ray was very diligently reading the wedding program while we were waiting for the ceremony to start. As he was reading about the wedding party, he stopped and looked at me with deep concern when he came to the blurb about the officiant. (It is helpful to note that the officiant at this wedding was a dear and long time friend of the bride and her family.) Some names in the following dialoug have been changed to protect the innocent.

Ray: "Hey, Aunt Becky - what's an o-fish-ant?"
Me: "The officiant is the person who performs the wedding ceremony, like the pastor or a judge."
Ray: "Well, listen to this!" (and Ray proceeds to read from the program)

'Officiant: Judge Jim Struthers
The man Kayla always wanted to marry her'

What is she marrying Marcus for if she wants to marry Jim????"


I just had to giggle.
Cheers Kayla and Marcus!
And furthermore, dear cousins .... cheesecake, the color yellow, and "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles are 3 of my favorite things!

2 comments:

Cousin Kayla said...

Hahaha, I was being a little tongue-in-cheek when I wrote Jim's blurb that way--I love that Ray bought it!!! He's so smart and funny. It wasn't originally my little joke though, so I can't take credit. A few years ago I told Jim's wife Bonnie that I was set on Jim marrying me one day...her response was a compassionate, "Kayla, sweetie...Jim's already married."

Oh, and the recessional was originally supposed to be James Taylor's "How Sweet It Is"--my dj ran up to the girls' room maybe two minutes before the ceremony with an Ipod, frantic because he didn't have it and I needed to pick something else out. I said, "Beatles! Happy Beatles!" while scrolling all the Beatles songs my mom had....saw "Here Comes The Sun" and ran with it! Turned out to be perfect:) Glad you liked it, so happy you were there, and so happy your girls were with me!! love you.

Anonymous said...

Ray's misunderstanding the Of Fish ant is so funny. I loved the wedding, the couple, the wedding party, all the relatives and friends, the Jason Mraz processional music and the ceremony. I'm so glad that I found the video camera to record it all and now I can enjoy it over and over again even tho the photography is shaky and very amateurish.
The dancing was such fun to watch including the young ones. I love you all, Mom (Jo, Grandma etc.)