Guess what I did here, today:
Do not adjust your screen. It truly does say what it says - 1.99 - "one-ninety-nine". So I filled up without wincing or crying. This put me in such a good mood that I decided to go a little crazy:
Crazy I tell ya - I went and broke my own "DO NOT PLAY CHRISTMAS MUSIC BEFORE THANKSGIVING" rule. But only slightly. I am actually having private rehearsals ("private": meaning only in my car, alone, where no one else can hear me.) for the new tradition the gals in my family have in December. We all get to go sing selections from Handel's Messiah, which includes the fabulous Hallelujah Chorus at one of the churches in town for fun! Nothing puts me in the Christmas mood more than Handel's Messiah. Never in all my life would I think I would ever get to sing The Messiah in a choir setting again, with my own daughters, and my mother (and hopefully our newest recruit - my sister) and I use my dad's music score with his lovely handwritten notes scribbled throughout.
And to further your reading enjoyment. Here is a little Handel's Messiah trivia in case you didn't know -
George Frederic Handel wrote the entire Messiah score in 24 days. God wrote all the words. (The words are Old Testament and New Testament text.)
During the premier of Messiah, to increase the capacity of the music hall, the men were asked to leave their dress swords at home and the women to not wear hoop skirts - this increased the capacity by 100.
King George II rose to his feet during the Hallelujah chorus and remained standing until its end. This has resulted in one of the most enduring Messiah traditions - to stand during the singing of the Hallelujah chorus.
Handel was born the same year as Johann Sebastian Bach. They were fellow Germans, fellow Lutherans, both had unsuccessful eye surgeries by the same doctor resulting in blindness, and they never met.
The Director of the Messiah event that the Hilton women will get to enjoy is the same gentleman who directed Maddie and Emma in their High School Choir and ....... he was MY choir director in high school! (I'm sure this is because I am so young.)
So now you know more than you did before you came!
Hallelujah!

2 comments:
Hallelujah Becky!
I'm so looking forward to singing with us all at the Sing Your Own Messiah concert under the direction of Mr. Gingrich next month. And looking forward to Amanda joining us. I'm in Washington at Su and Sam Davis's home on Sam's computer. See you soon. love, Grandma
We finally got to sing the Messiah last night. Hallelujah! What a glorious feeling. I actually sang more of the notes than I did while I practiced by myself to the music on my Itunes. The ladies singing around and behind me helped a great deal. I think Mr. Gingrich really enjoyed the event also. Wouldn't Dad have enjoyed singing the bass part with us.
Post a Comment