Sunday, January 11, 2015

How To Make a BUCKEYE Fan




What's round on the ends and HI in the middle????

OHIO ..... I learned this riddle loooooong ago from my parents.  I thought it was just about the cleverest thing I had ever heard.   I also learned the Ohio State fight song at an early age.  I can still sing it!

Mom and Dad were born and raised in the little town of Lorain, Ohio.  They attended the same high school, had many of the same friends, probably passed each other a hundred times in school halls and local stores but never met until one day when they saw each other at a YWCA dance in CALIFORNIA!  My Mom saw him from afar and knew there was something familiar about him ("and he took my breath away!" she remembers ....).  She knew he was a Marine because of his haircut and "stately" posture.  They married after 8 months and Dad left 9 days after their wedding day for Japan during the Korean War ceasefire.

Jump ahead to 4 kids later and the fact that my dad was a football fan ..... definitely an Ohio State Buckeye fan!  When he became a VHS machine owner, he taped every OSU Buckeye vs. UM Wolverine football game,  Our cabinet was full of these football tapes.  Mom did her part by making Buckeye treats for us - peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate.

So, long story short ~ My growing up days were full of much cheering and rooting for the Buckeyes (and eating peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate).

 2 very special moments have transpired for me involving the Buckeyes as an adult:

Moment number 1:  We had an unexpected surprise when a hospice nurse arrived at our home to tend to my failing Dad.  Many Ohio family members were gathered as well, and when the nurse stepped into our Oregon home wearing a red Ohio State jacket, we were stunned.  Are you kidding?  This is Oregon!!!  What are the chances???   I'm pretty sure God arranged that to give us comfort and joy during some very hard days.

 Moment number 2:  As I was waking in the hospital after my "Barnabus" surgery, there was an Ohio State football clip on the television in my room.  My first thought was  "Dad? You are here."  Was it really on?  Who knows .... but for some reason, it is the first post-op conscious memory I have.   I'm pretty sure I promptly fell asleep soon after. Ha!   Again, comfort and joy - I call these types of things, "God things."

 Add all of this to my fondness of my wonderful Ohio family and you have the makings of a Buckeye Fan here in little Canby, Oregon.

Tomorrow, we will be watching the Ohio State Buckeyes and the University of Oregon Ducks play in the FIRST national football championship.  Everything here in Oregon is green and yellow and all about the Ducks.

But in my little corner, I'll be cheering for the other team with mom.  And we will be eating peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate ....

"Fight the team across the field, show them Ohio's here .... set the earth reverberating with a mighty cheer, RAH RAH RAH, hit them hard and see how they fall. Never let that team get the ball,  Hail!  Hail! The gang's all here, for the glory of O-hio!" 



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous Becky!! You never told me you had family from Ohio!! I think it's so ironic that they are playing each other!! You can guess who I will be rootin' for!! I will be thinking of all my duck lovin' friends during the game and smiling thinking of you rootin' for O-H!!

Kathy Pilla

Anonymous said...

I love this! And especially the "God things". Susie