Thursday, December 07, 2006

She's and Him's




Ok. Can I just say little boys instigate the most interesting conversations. Let’s take this morning’s trip in the car for example. Joe is singing to me, the latest version of Joy to the World that some school chum taught him. Needless to say, they are NOT the lyrics that we all know and enjoy at Christmas time. So a discussion ensued about the appropriate words to the song, and why we should sing it the appropriate way, etc. etc.

"Mommy, will you sing it the 'appropriate way' for me?"

"Ok …. (And so begins the song ….)
'Joy to the World, the Lord is come.
Let Earth receive her King!' "

"Mom, why is the earth a 'She?'".

So I try explaining the idea of Mother Earth, and a mother is a she, and Earth is another word for World, so …
and I continue …

" 'Let every heart, prepare Him room
and Heaven and Nature sing' ", etc. etc.

And in his most mommy-I-adore-you voice, he says, "Mom … that was beautiful." (obviously, there are no wrong notes sung by Mothers when placed into the ears of their little ones …. )

"Well, thank you son. I can show you where that song is in my Hymn book.

"In your Him book? Mom, why is the book a “Him”?

Such fun it is to explain all of life's mysteries to inquiring minds ..... sigh ……..

No comments: