Wednesday, July 26, 2006

If You Can't Stand the Heat


Our little corner of the world has been met with excessive heat the past couple of weeks. As much as I LOVE summer and warm weather, I must admit I was quickly tiring of sweating, sticking to my clothes, and mentally calculating the cost of running our two window air conditioners day and night for several days.

Thankfully, we live not too far from this wonderful place, suggested to us by Amanda. When we arrived, we were met by a gently running creek, a 25 foot log jam, and a couple hundred fellow sweaty, sticky trekkers who were wading the creek and climbing the jam.

I quickly learned that teenagers hike much faster than their parents; they have spiderman like qualities enabling them to scale slippery canyon walls easily; and the voice of one particular 7 year old boy bounces quite effeciently off canyon walls to serve as a decent GPS tool. I thanked
God, that we had all worn shoes instead of flip flops, which would have never carried us over the log jam that blocked our way. (I also thanked Him that I had NOT seen the "Hike at Your Own Risk" sign at the beginning of our trek.)

The reward for this great feat (at least for the teenagers) was jumping from the wall shelf into the deep cool pool waiting below. My reward for surviving the hike at all, was the 20something degree drop in air temperature and sore thighs the next morning. So worth it.

No comments: