Wednesday, May 09, 2012

A Spring Beach Trip


I am a beach snob.  As I have shared before, beach days should contain frisbees, sunshine, and plenty of unpurposeful laying in the sand.

But I took a risk and went on a beach trip in the Spring.  In Oregon.  With no guarantee that the days would be warm or dry.  And I knew in advance that there would be no palm trees.
Tsunami Debris? Maybe ...

Instead, the sunshine promised came in the shape of friends.  And that is always a very good thing.

We walked and ate and talked and ate and prayed and laughed and ate.  Did I mention that we ate?


No shovel? No problem!
But we also learned many things ...

  • Woodpeckers make pretty good alarm clocks.
  • Do you need a Geiger counter?  No problem ... there's an app for that.  How do we know this?  It was deemed necessary to download one after 3 early morning walkers carried Japanese floats found on the beach - possibly Japanese tsunami debris so it was necessary to check for radiation contamination.
  • Catterpillars that wind themselves around chrisalis' and knock them down are called killerpillars.
  • Dr. Oz has some very interesting topics on his show - some that I simply can not comment about on this blog.
  • When playing Spoons, one should grab the large end of the spoon and pull very hard.  Even if this means yanking from your opponents hand.
  • On the beach, there are walkers and there are strollers.  I am a stroller.  
  • Strollers usually end up with very large loads of beach treasure to carry.
  • Pockets come in handy when strolling.
  • If you ever run into a dull moment, just play a favorite voice mail message for a good laugh.

In addition to all of this fine educational time, there was sun afterall (and plenty of shovels).

(Read more posts about the beach by clicking "Beach" in the label cloud to the right, because this blog is cool like that!)


No comments: